May 18th, 2022 by Lean for Humans
Whatever form of continuous improvement you practice, it's all about learning through experimentation. But once you've learned something, what happens to that knowledge? Clark Shah-Nelson joined me today to talk about knowledge management, why it is essential for organizations, and how to get started managing knowledge.
Dr. Shah-Nelson has taught, designed & led award-winning virtual, online, instructional design and distance learning teams; supported end user and learning management platform implementation and led teams for training, professional development and project management. Recently published articles include human resource management of virtual teams and collaborative tools for knowledge management.
Key Topics in this podcast:
- Clark’s career background
- What is knowledge management?
- Understanding taxonomy
- The importance of Human Resources in knowledge management
- Why documentation is so important in knowledge management, and what to do with all that documentation.
- The importance of the documentarian role
- Knowledge management is the collection of methods relating to creating, sharing, using and managing the knowledge and information of an organization. It refers to a multidisciplinary approach to achieve organizational objectives by making the best use of knowledge
- Corporate taxonomy is the hierarchical classification of entities of interest of an enterprise, organization or administration, used to classify documents, digital assets and other information. Taxonomies can cover virtually any type of physical or conceptual entities (products, processes, knowledge fields, human groups, etc.) at any level of granularity.
- Corporate taxonomies are increasingly used in information systems (particularly content management and knowledge management systems), as a way to promote discoverability and allow instant access to the right information within exponentially growing volumes of data in learning organizations.
- Human resources are crucial to onboarding for knowledge management. The key is having the right people in place and making sure they have all of their information available when it comes time to sit down with new employees, so that process can go smoothly from start to finish
Memorable Quotes From Clark Shah-Nelson
“Look into knowledge management, because it's a growing field, it's going to grow more, It's maturing, it's evolving and it's going to become even more mission critical and more and more organizations and companies are going to prioritize knowledge management.”
CONNECT WITH CLARK
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/clarkshahnelson/