Aug 3rd, 2022 by Lean for Humans
In this episode, Fiona Valentine joined me. We've talked a lot about what continuous improvers can learn from artists, and about how and why we can’t practice continuous improvement without building our skills for creativity. Fiona Valentine is an artist, who works right at that important intersection of art, creativity, and business. She helps artists learn how to sell their art – and she helps businesspeople tap into their creativity. And she knows a thing or two about lean thinking as well!
Fiona Valentine paints the beauty and joy she finds in nature, hosts The Confident Artist Facebook Group, and is the creator of The Profitable Artist Method for aspiring artists who want to paint for fun and profit, even if they’ve never sold any of their work before.
Her teaching challenges the typical advice given to creatives because she believes that both painting and the art of selling art can be learned by anyone willing to follow The Profitable Artist Method.
Fiona's mission is to help each student enjoy their creativity and discover that real artists don’t starve, they thrive.
KEY TOPICS IN THIS PODCAST:
- Fiona’s career background
- What is creativity?
- Common misconceptions about creativity
- How does Fiona define "artist" and "creativity?"
- How to develop creativity?
- How to incorporate arts in business and our daily routine?
- Art explained
- The Importance of a combination of art skills and business skills
- Creativity is often described as the ability to come up with new and innovative ideas. However, creativity is much more than simply coming up with something new. It also involves the ability to see things from a different perspective and to find new ways to solve problems
- Many people believe that creativity is a trait that is reserved for artists and musicians, but the truth is that everyone can be creative. Creativity is simply the ability to come up with new ideas and see the world in new ways.
- One of the most important skills that any business person can possess is the ability to think creatively. After all, it is often the out-of-the-box ideas that lead to breakthrough products and services.
- By incorporating the arts into businesses, we can allow employees to explore new ways of thinking and problem-solving. In addition, the arts can also be used as a tool for marketing and promoting businesses.
Memorable Quotes From Fiona Valentine
“ Anything is possible. You've got an enormous amount of potential, You've got enough talent and creativity to make beautiful art and a beautiful business. What you need are skills so focus on getting those skills and enjoy the journey. There's no hurry.”
CONNECT WITH FIONA VALENTINE